This article is designed to let you know What a Check is, Who can own check, How to write a Check, etc. Although, it can be said that the use of checks are gradually fading off, but it is still necessary that one knows how to fill a check.
Majority of the people who own a check cannot confidently fill it up. This is why this article is very important.
Overview of a Check
How did checks come about? It can be dated back to the ancients time and in the early 19th Century, before it stopped being in use till the 20th Century where it became well known. It was issued annually, but in 1990’s the usage in some countries fell drastically.
What is a check all about? It s a valid document given by a bank, stating the agreement to pay a certain amount of money to the name on the check. One who opens an account with a bank, is entitled to own a check. This authorization means that the bank should receive a certain amount from your account and deposit it into the payee’s account.
A payee Is the person or company to be paid, while a drawer is the one that owns the check. A check drawer must have an account in that to be able to use their check book. Then the drawer proceeds to fill out various details on the check such as the amount, date, and the recipient’s name, signs it, ordering their bank to pay the person or company in the check.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of A Check
- There is no convenience fee
- It is a safe way to send money
- It is a proof of payment
1. No convenience fee
If you are to use other means to send money to someone else, there will be charges attached. But using your personal check saves you from those inconveniences.
2. Safe way to send money
During the early times, when money is being transported, it could easily be stolen. But if someone picks up your filled check, it can’t be easily cashed at the bank. This is because banks and merchants still require a signature on every check and cashiers are required to check customers’ signatures and verify that they are legitimate.
3. Proof of Payment
A check gives a more legit proof of payment although it is stressful and hard to prepare.
- It is prone to scam
- It can be very expensive to obtain
- Processing it takes longer time
- Some businesses don’t take checks
1. Prone to Scam
Check scams are targeted at the elderly and young adults. This is because the young ones mostly make use of electronic payment method.
2. Can be very expensive
Obtaining a check from a bank can be expensive and stressful. Also, when a mistake is made of a check leaf, that one is invalid, another leaf is drawn causing wasted.
3. Processing takes longer time.
Unlike other electronic payment method that is very fact and convenient, payment with check takes a lot of time and processes.
4. Some businesses don’t accept checks
As the electronic method of money transfer is in phase, many business tends to move away from using checks and embracing the electronic method. No one has time for delay.
AN OUTLINE OF A CHECK
A page of a check contains an already printed part and a blank part that must be carefully and correctly filled by the drawer.
This is what the Outline of a check looks like:
1. The personal information section, which provide details about the account owner, who is the one paying money.
2. The payee line designates who can receive the money.
3. The dollar box displays the value of the check-in numerical format.
4. The amount on the check is written out in words and not figures.
5. The memo line is a space for any notes about the purpose of the check.
6. The dateline serves as a timestamp for the check.
7. The signature line verifies that the account owner has approved the payment.
8. Your bank’s contact information and/or logo are usually printed on the check.
9. Your bank’s American Bankers Association (ABA) routing number tells banks where to find the funds for the check.
10. Your account number at your bank enables the recipient know where the money for the check is coming from.
11. The check number (note that this appears in two places) is a security measure to identify each payment and prevent fraud.
HOW TO FILL OUT A CHECK
1. Write the current date
The section for date is always at the top right hand corner. There should be no mistake while filling it. The current date will let the bank know exactly when the transaction was made and to keep accurate record. Date can be written in numbers or in full. Example, April 30, 2021, or 4/30/2021.
2. Write Out the Recipients name
In the line that says ‘pay to the order of’, that is where the name of the receiver or payee is written. This is the name of the person or the company receiving the money. One can write the word ‘cash’ if the recipient’s name is unknown, but it is not advisable as anyone can cash it out.
3. Write the check amount in numeric form
The check will contain two spots that will require you to state the amount you are paying. First, write the numerical dollar amount in the small box on the right side of the line for the recipient’s name.Make sure to write the amount correctly so the bank can subtract the correct amount from your account.
4. Write the check amount in words
It is important to write out the amount in words for more clarity. This will be the official amount of your payment.
If that amount is different from the numeric form that you entered in the previous spot the transaction is void.
5. Write a memo
Although the memo section is optional, it is a good idea to fill it out because it helps remind you of why you wrote the check. If you are writing the check to pay for a carpenter for instance you can write furniture. On the lower side left-hand side is where the memo is located
6. Signing the check
This section is located at the lower right-hand side of the check. It is important to sign your name to enable the check being cleared. Without your signature, the transaction is invalid. Signature also informs the bank about to authorization of the transaction.
7. Make Sure you have the funds for the check
It’s a good idea to check your checking account balance beforehand, to ensure there is enough cash in your account to cover the amount.
If not, the check could bounce and you’ll likely incur fees and penalties plus the check recipient won be happy either.
Checks have really gone a long way in helping payment transactions. It might not be in phase now, but it is still in use. It is very much important to know how to fill a check, because who knows, you might just be told to write a check one day. I hope this article has thought you all about a check and how to fill a check.
- Definition of Annual Percentage Rate (APR) in Crypto
- Definition of Relative Strength Index (RSI) in Stocks and Crypto?
- What Is The Meaning Of Attestation Ledger
- Trading Advice: How to Use Funding Rates As An Indicator To Trade and What Do They Do?
- What Is The Meaning Of Assets Under Administration (AUA)
- Technical Analysis Courses For Trading Success
- Meaning Of Assets Under Management (AUM)
- What Is Hurdle Rate(Examples And Usage Of Hurdle Rate)
- Definition Of Risk Premium In Investment
- WHAT IS THE BEST STRATEGIES FOR A BEAR MARKET?
- DEFINITION OF COMMERCIAL MORTGAGE-BACKED SECURITIES (CMBS).
- WHAT ARE THE BEST AND PROFITABLE INVESTMENTS FOR MILITARY FAMILIES?
- LIST OF TOP 25 DEVELOPED AND DEVELOPING COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD.
- DIFFERENTIATING BETWEEN PREFERRED STOCK AND COMMON STOCK
- Definition of Clearinghouse in Banking and how it works(Examples of Clearinghouse)
- DEFINITION OF CAPITAL INVESTMENT
- Definition Shielded Transaction / Addresses
- Definition of Annual Percentage Yield (APY)
- Definition Of Anti-Money Laundering(AML)
- Definition of Secured Overnight Financing Rate (SOFR)
- Definition of Modified Internal Rate of Return (MIRR) and How it Works
- What Is Effective Annual Interest Rate (Examples And How To Calculate Annual Equivalent Rate)
- Definition of Capital Investment and its Advantages and Disadvantages
- What Are the Best Courses for Tax Lien Investing?
- Definition Of Book Income And Its Case Uses(Book Income Vs Taxable Income)
- What Is The Meaning Bid-Ask Spread?
- What Is The Best Strategies For A Bull Market
- What Are The Best Online Gold Dealers For Gold Investment
- Top Accounting Software For Rental Properties And How To Select The Best Tool To Manage Your Rentals
- What’s the Difference Between Institutional Investors And Retail Investors
- What’s The Difference Between Market Economy And Command Economy
- What Are The Best Resources For Improving Financial Literacy
- Differences And Definition Of Brokerage Account and IRA.
- Definition Of CUSIP Number And Where It Apply
- How To Invest In Index Funds And Its Benefits
- The Most Profitable Way To Invest Money Online
- List Of Top 25 Wealthiest Countries In The World
- Do USA Practice Market Economy Or A Mixed Economy
- How To Resolve And Manage Walmart Credit Card Login And Bill Payment
- Cryptocurrency Firms In The UK That Breaks Rules Could Be Shut Down
- DEFINITION OF TRADING JOURNAL AND HOW TO USE CASES
- Facts About Amazon Storefront
- A REVIEW OF 15 FURRY ART SITES AND ARTISTS
- The Chime SpotMe Program: How it Functions | Merits & Demerits
- Best 21 Websites To Market Goods and Materials.
- Best Simple Ways To Transfer Visa Gift Card To Bank Account In Shorter Time
- Guideline On How To Fill A Check
- HOW TO SIGN UP & LOGIN WALMART CREDIT CARD ONLINE ACCOUNT.
- How you can make $100 by investing $1,000 in a day.