How to Apply for Nottingham Forest Academy Scholarships

Nottingham Forest FC. In this post “Apply for Nottingham Forest Academy Scholarships” you’ll learn about Nottingham Forest Academy, Nottingham Forest Stadium, Nottingham Forest Fc, Nottingham Forest history and also many more.

Under-23s, Under-18s, and Academy of Nottingham Forest

Manchester United Nottingham Forest’s Reserves are Under-23s. The squad comprises largely of Under-23 players, however older players may participate when injured.

Nottingham Forest’s Under-18s squad. Gareth Holmes coaches the juniors. Gary Brazil manages Nottingham Forest Academy.

Under 23, Under 18 & Schoolboy

The Nottingham Forest F.C. Youth Academy was established in 1997 by Paul Hart. Gary Brazil and ex-professionals manage the academy full and part-time. The institution is on a 24-acre (97,000 m2) Nottingham location. Among those who have graduated from the academy are Jermaine Jenas, Michael Dawson, Andy Dawson, James Perch, Carlos Merino, Scott Loach, Andy Reid, and Marlon Harewood. Several of these guys ended up playing internationally. Some, like Shaun Wright-Phillips and Tom Huddlestone, were let go and went on to have decent futures somewhere else.
Nottingham Forest’s junior squad has participated in the Premier Academy League since 1997. The 2000–01 season was their finest. In 2009–10, they lost 5–3 to Arsenal in the play-off finale.

Nottingham Forest’s academy was rebranded The Nigel Doughty Academy in October 2012 to honor the club’s late founder.


The City Ground is a football stadium located in West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire, England. Nottingham Forest Football Club has called it home from 1898.

These two grounds are the nearest official football stadiums in England, and the second-closest in the United Kingdom, after Dundee and Dundee United’s venues. They are on opposing banks of the Trent.

History of Nottingham Forest FC


Nottingham Forest Football Club was formed in 1865, although didn’t relocate to the City Ground till 1898. For 14 years, the team played in the Forest Recreation Ground, whence they got their name. This was public property, thus the club couldn’t commercialize its games. Since there was no gates fee, income mostly came from player subscription payments. When Forest initially joined the FA Cup in 1878–79, they couldn’t play home games because fans had to pay entry. After Notts Castle Football Club folded and its players decided to join Forest, the club moved to the Castle Ground in The Meadows in 1879. [16] This enabled Forest to collect entry fee for the 1879–80 FA Cup.

From 1880, the club’s key matches were held at Trent Bridge Cricket Ground, Nottingham’s most sophisticated confined sports site. In 1883, nearby competitors Notts County succeeded Forest as Trent Bridge renters, presumably because Notts hired Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club’s secretary as their own salaried Club Secretary.

The Parkside Ground in Lenton, where Forest first competed on September 22, 1883, was castigated for its range from the community, its steep hill and its surface texture, with one newspaper reporter making an assessment that “so long as the Forest Club will sustain a field on which it is unrealistic for them to play their type of game precisely.

Although relocating three years afterwards to the adjacent Gregory Ground, Lenton’s distance from Nottingham saw crowd numbers keep dropping, and in 1890 the team relocated to the Town Ground in The Meadows, which was considerably nearer to the club’s beginnings and became Forest’s first genuine football stadium.

A new local council decided to renovate the property for development and canceled Forest’s lease, providing rather the area on the south side of the water which became today’s City Ground.
This property was handed to the Mayor and Burgesses of Nottingham by Edward VI in a 1551 royal charter to compensate for the maintenance of Trent Bridge.

The City Council awarded the club a 21-year lease on the new location, and the membership accepted the move during its December 1897 yearly gathering. The club urged members, fans and companies to buy £5 “New Ground Scheme” bonds to help fund the transfer, generating nearly £2,000. Many debts were never repaid, thus bondholders donated to the new ground.

Nottingham FC’s Infancy

However, the new City Ground was not formally inaugurated until the opening match of the next season, a Division One encounter against Blackburn Rovers on 3 September 1898, with an audience of 15,000 fans. The stadium featured a barrel-roofed main stand on the west side, a thin wooden shade shielding the Trent End, and a smaller roofing on the east side. “A silk carpet of luxuriant grass,” the field was among the best in the nation.
William Bardill, a club member of the committee and nurseryman whose household company still operates in Stapleford, was responsible.

Bardill dug the playing field to a depth of two feet, laid clinker to guarantee optimum drainage, and then laid high-quality grass from Radcliffe-on-Trent.

Forest’s 1898 FA Cup encounter versus Wolverhampton Wanderers drew 32,070 fans, the first football match in Nottingham to gross over £1,000. The stadium was regarded “one of the greatest in the nation” and hosted the FA Cup Semifinal in 1899, which was “valuable to the club and the city.” The stadium hosted four FA Cup semi-finals between 1899 and 1905 and one international in 1909.
Notts County utilized the City Ground in the 1900s when Trent Bridge Cricket Ground was unavailable for football.

The refurbished field was dubbed City Field. It was just a few hundred yards from Trent Bridge’s ancient Town Ground, labeled after the Town Arms bar.

Nottingham was awarded its City Charter in 1897, and the site on which it sits was then inside the City’s boundaries. Due to boundary revisions in 1952, the site fell under West Bridgford (Rushcliffe Borough Council) rather than the city. Meadow Lane, home of Notts County, is located opposite the City Ground.

The City Pitch was the initial sports field to use elliptically formed goalposts when the Nottingham-based Standard Goals Company gave it a new set in 1922. Previously, goalposts had been round or square. The FA ruled in 1938 that a goal’s 8-yard width should be evaluated from the interior of such posts, hence City Ground’s goals had been 2 inches too small for 16 years.

The club turned down Nottingham Corporation’s £7,000 offer to acquire the stadium in 1935.

See also  How To Join Montpellier Fc Academy

Throughout WWII, City Ground hosted boxing, horse gymkhanas, and zoo excursions to amuse off-duty personnel.

The 8–9 May 1941 bombardment cost £75 9s 11d to rebuild the pitch.

Nottingham FC after the War

Forest played several home games at Meadow Lane when the River Trent inundated the City Ground in March 1947.

Floodwaters attained the crossbars of the goals and swans were observed swimming the whole field.

After gaining advancement in 1950, Forest put up a schedule to renovate the City Ground, which were completed in 1951. The Trent End was extended and covered in 1954, but a second deck of seats was never added. On 12 October 1957, a £40,000 East Stand with 2,500 seats opened.

Together with upgrades to the Colwick Road Terrace, this provided the club’s first season in the top level since 1925 a capacity of 48,000 with 6,500 seats.

The inaugural match included Manchester United’s “Busby Babes”, barely four months before eight of them perished in the Munich flight tragedy.
Forest initiated floodlit football matches at the Gregory Facility in March 1889, but the City Ground was the second-to-last top-flight ground to adopt constant headlights. On September 11, 1961, Forest played Gillingham in the League Cup under the stadium’s floodlights. Each of four 120-foot pylons had 36 1,500-watt lights. In October 1967, Forest overcame Manchester United 3–1 in a First Division match, five months after finishing second to United. In 1967, England U23 played Italy at City Ground.

Between 1962 and 1965, the Main Stand was re-roofed, enlarged, and remodeled with additional offices, changing rooms, kit shops, medical facilities, and press rooms.

On 24 August 1968, a stand caught fire during a First Division game versus Leeds United.

It began near the changing rooms and quickly spread through the wooden structure.

Notwithstanding a population of 31,126, no one was wounded by the broken stand.
A TV team had to climb down the TV gantry since the access ladder was in the boiler room. The gantry was expanded to both ends of the stand. The fire destroyed much of the club’s records, awards, and mementos.
The stand’s roof remained unharmed, enabling the club to restore its concrete and steel basis. As a consequence of the fire, Forest played six ‘home’ matches at Meadow Lane, all of which they lost, and utilized the dressing rooms at Trent Bridge Cricket Ground until the Main Stand was restored.

The Executive Stand launched in August 1980 and cost £2.5 million — mostly from revenues from Forest’s golden spell, when they won the league championship in 1978 and the European Cup in 1979 and 1980. On two occasions, Forest did win the Football League Cup.

Under Clough, Forest dominated English and European football and used the resources to invest a 10,000-seat stand. After his retiring, he restored it as The Brian Clough Stand in the mid-1990s. The stand had 36 executive boxes and a big dining space for public entertainment. The stand was the 1st in football to utilize coloured seat marking, with white seats spelling out “FOREST” against red upper-tier seats. The additional structure gave the City Ground a size of 35,567, along with 15,009 seats, which remained stable until the Hillsborough catastrophe in 1989.

Taylor Report

Nottingham Forest played Liverpool in the FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough on 15 April 1989, when 97 Liverpool supporters died in a terrace crush. The Taylor Report ordered all top-two English football teams to have an all-seater stadium by August 1994. This required extensive City Ground renovations.

Nottingham City Council suggested building a 45,000-seat stadium costing £44m one mile west of the City Ground to be used by Forest and Notts County.

Brian Clough vowed to leave if the scheme was adopted, despite Notts County’s support. A disagreement with the City Council over an 8m-15m strip at the rear of the Trent End meant Forest’s hopes to erect an all-seater stand at the City Ground were put on hold. It was claimed the council was attempting to push the club into cooperating with their plans for a new stadium at Wilford by demanding £150,000 a year for the 1,121 square yard “ransom strip” behind the Trent End. Despite a settlement rate of £22,000 per year being established, Forest had instead focused on rebuilding the Colwick Road Terrace at the opposite end of the pitch.

The Bridgford Stand was rebuilt in 1992–93 at a cost of £4.6m, including £1.9m from the Football Trust.

The Stand was erected in April 1992, with a seating of 7,710, with 5,131 reserved for away fans. The distinctive roof design allowed sunshine to reach adjoining Colwick Road homes. The Stand can accommodate 70 wheelchair users. It also has a management suite with PA systems, computerized leaderboard controls, and matchday police operations.

The Trent End was renovated between 1994 and 1996 for Euro 96. The additional stand beside the River Trent housed 7,338 to bring the stadium’s total population to 30,576. On 8 May 1994, 27,010 fans saw Forest celebrating progress to the Premier League.

If the top division returned, the stadium could hold 46,000 people. Between 1993 and 1999, Forest was demoted three times.

Though they returned to the Premier League after their first two relegations, they haven’t been back since 1999 and spent three seasons in League One.

In 2007 and 2008, the City Ground hosted the FA Women’s Cup Final. The 2007 final between Arsenal L.F.C. and Charlton Athletic L.F.C. drew 24,529 fans, breaking the old best of 13,824 for the 2001 final at Selhurst Park. In 2008, 24,582 people saw Arsenal defeat Leeds United 4–1.

The stadium has held two significant events outside football. Leicester Tigers overcame Llanelli Scarlets 13–12 in the Heineken Cup semi-final on 28 April 2002. Leicester Tigers were beaten 19-16 at City Ground in the European Rugby Champions Cup semi-final on 24 April 2016. R.E.M. played the stadium’s opening performance before 20,000 people.

Planned Relocation

In 2007 the club confirmed intentions to expand stadium with a capacity of approximately 50,000 in Clifton on the south-western periphery of Nottingham, contending that expanding the City Ground would be prohibitively expensive and that with £45m-£50m in public and private funding a new ground could be built by 2014. The relocation was scheduled to correspond with the enlargement of the Nottingham Express Transit and the widening of the adjacent A453 connection to the M1, providing a “dramatic new entry” to the city. Local inhabitants rejected the notion, and supporters said it was an effort to shift publicity from the club’s relegation.

See also  How to Join Montreal Football Academy

After the developers opted not to continue, a fresh concept for a 50,000-seat “mega stadium” costing £100m was revealed in 2008 as part of England’s 2018 FIFA World Cup bid.

A 37,000 seat main stand at the City Ground, according to the club, will never fit for a World Cup or other international fixture due to access issues. The proposed stadium would have needed a new bridge over the River Trent and major engineering to overcome the danger of flooding, but was abandoned due to local resistance.

Additional advancement of the City Ground was rejected in 2009 by Nottingham City Council, which owned the property. In September, a new plan was revealed to construct a 45,000 seater stadium for said 2018 World Cup close to the A52 at Gamston. The club argues that “exhaustive studies of the existing City Ground have shown it is impossible to transform the ground into a fully compliant FIFA stadium.”

After the World Cup, the temporary seats would be removed, reducing the stadium’s capacity to 38,000. Residents and politicians objected to the idea to construct 4,000 dwellings on greenbelt land, and Nottinghamshire County Council withdrew commitment to the project soon before it was filed. FIFA’s technical standards drove the idea, while England’s failed 2010 World Cup bid jeopardized new stadium plans.

Forest’s new owner Fawaz Al-Hasawi revealed long-term ambitions to construct a new stadium, but said the short-term priority was to repair the City Ground.
In December, two additional large screens were built between the Trent End and the Brian Clough Stand and behind the Lower Bridgford Stand, along with LED advertising boards surrounding the field. The Main Stand was christened after European Cup-winning assistant manager Peter Taylor.

Due to security concerns, the stadium’s capacity was lowered to 24,357 for the 2016–17 season. The City Ground was “weary, disheveled, unhappy, and as though no one cared” when the Hasawis sold the club in 2017, according to the Nottingham Post. Under new owner Evangelos Marinakis, improvements were made to the changing rooms and bunkers, as well as general stadium upkeep. The club obtained a 250-year lease extension from Nottingham City Council in 2019, allowing them to go ahead with redevelopment plans that include replacing the Peter Taylor Stand, improving the Bridgford and Brian Clough Stands, and expanding Trentside.

Ground renovation

The club renewed its lease on City Ground on February 28, 2019, enabling them to renovate the stadium and neighboring region. The Peter Taylor Stand will be replaced by a 10,000-seat stand, while Trentside, Brian Clough, and Bridgford Stands will be improved.

New Peter Taylor Stand features include a museum, a club store, executive boxes, hospitality lounges and restaurants. The City Ground’s capacity will exceed 38,000 with the new, contemporary, state-of-the-art building.

The team hoped to start construction work at the conclusion of the 2019–20 season.

The COVID-19 epidemic halted the reconstruction ambitions. Nottingham Forest filed an updated project proposal on 1 June 2021. As of April 2022, no construction has begun, although the club has “strong reasons for hope” that planning approval will soon be granted.

FC Nottingham

Nottingham Forest Football Club is situated in West Bridgford, England. 1865: The club was created. Forest participates in the EFL Championship, the second division of the English football league system.

One League championship, two FA Cups, four League Cups, one FA Charity Shield, two European Cups, and one UEFA Super Cup. Since joining the Football League, the team has only spent five seasons in the third tier. Brian Clough and Peter Taylor led the club to back-to-back European Cup titles in 1979 and 1980.

Forest won the 1989 and 1990 League Cups and were FA Cup finalists in 1991 before demotion in 1993. Forest placed third in the Premier League in 1995 before demotion in 1997 and 1999.

The club’s most bitter feud is with Derby County, with whom it plays for the Brian Clough Trophy. Forest also plays Notts County in the Nottingham derby, although contemporary matches between the clubs have been infrequent.

Nottingham Forest History

Below the top-flight (1999–2012)

Ron Atkinson was ineligible to avoid Nottingham Forest’s demotion to Division One and retired on 24 April 1999, with three weeks left in the Premier League season.

Former England captain David Platt replaced Atkinson and spent £12 million on Italian veterans Moreno Mannini, Salvatore Matrecano, and Gianluca Petrachi.

Platt’s first and second seasons saw Forest finish 14th and 11th. Paul Hart became young team manager after he left in July 2001 to coach England U21.

Joe Kinnear was then hired and guided the team to 14th place. Forest dropped into the bottom position in 2004–05, resulting to Kinnear’s departure. Mick Harford managed Forest during Christmas before Gary Megson was hired. Megson had already won two promotions to the Premier League with West Bromwich Albion, having showed up when they were in risk of disappearing down to Division Two, however ceased to stave off defeat as the club ended the season second from bottom in 23rd place, being the first European Cup-winners ever to fall into their home third division.

Forest did spend most of the 2009–10 season in the top three, going undefeated in 19 league games, having won 12 home league games in a row (a club record), and going undefeated away from home from the start of the season until 30 January 2010. They also claimed noteworthy home conquests over Derby County and Leicester City. The team came in third, losing automatic promotion, and lost the two-legged play-off semi-final against Blackpool, 2–1 away and 4–3 at home. It was the club’s 1st home loss since September 2009.

Forest finished sixth in the Championship with 75 points in 2010–11, earning them a fourth straight play-off berth.

Forest were defeated over two legs by eventual play-off winner finalist Swansea City. After drawing the first leg 0–0 at City Ground, they lost 3–1.

See also  How to Apply For Inter Milan Academy Scholarships

Billy Davies’ agreement was ended in June 2011, and Steve McClaren secured a three-year deal. David Pleat and Bill Beswick resigned Forest’s coaching staff following a 5–1 loss at Burnley. [92] After a home loss to Birmingham City, McClaren quit and chairman Nigel Doughty disclosed his retirement. N ottingham Forest changed in October 2011. Frank Clark was named club chairman, and Steve Cotterill replaced Steve McClaren.

Nigel Doughty, the club’s proprietor and former chairman, died on 4 February 2012. His entire commitment was estimated to be about £100 million.

2012–2017: Al-Hasawi period

In July 2012, Kuwait’s Al-Hasawi family bought the club. The Al-Hasawi family said they had a 3–5-year vision for the club, and after hearing many possible new managers, they hired Sean O’Driscoll on 19 July 2012 following a second round of negotiations with the then Crawley man. His slick passing game has propelled Doncaster Rovers into the second division for the first time since the 1950s. O’Driscoll coached for five months at the City Ground in 2011–12 under Steve Cotterill. O’Driscoll never coached a competitive game at Crawley.

Two days after McLeish’s resignation, the club re-hired Billy Davies as manager. His first match was a tie, followed by 10 wins. After losing 5–0 to Derby County in March 2014, the club fired Davies. Neil Warnock declined the Forest position after Davies was fired. Stuart Pearce was hired manager after originally refusing the post in March 2014, replacing caretaker Gary Brazil. On 1 July 2014, he signed a two-year deal. Pearce guided Forest to an undefeated start but faltered. Dougie Freedman, another ex Forest player, succeeded him.

Forest started the 2015–16 season in the Championship, their 17th season away from the Premier League. On March 13, 2016, after a 3–0 loss to Sheffield Wednesday, Freedman was fired.

Paul Williams was then named interim manager as Nottingham Forest sought for a new boss.

After months of rumors, Philippe Montanier was hired on a two-year contract on June 27, 2016. However he was fired after only seven months. Mark Warburton took over as manager on March 14, 2017. Forest escaped relegation on the last day of the 2016–17 season with a 3–0 win against Ipswich.

2017-present Evangelos Marinakis

On May 18, 2017, Evangelos Marinakis finalized his buyout of Nottingham Forest, ending Al-term Hasawi’s as proprietor. Mark Warburton was dismissed on 31 December 2017 after a 1–0 home loss to faltering Sunderland. Aitor Karanka succeeded him on 8 January 2018, after caretaker Gary Brazil led a 4–2 FA Cup triumph against Arsenal. Karanka made 10 January signings. After finishing 17th in the Championship in 2017–18, Karanka signed 14 new acquisitions during the summer transfer window, and the performances enhanced. Despite a solid league position, Karanka decided to resign from his agreement on 11 January 2019. Four days later, Martin O’Neill succeeded him. O’Neill was fired in June after apparently falling out with key players. Sabri Lamouchi substituted him that day. Having spent much of Lamouchi’s first season in the playoffs, Forest ended 7th. Lamouchi was fired after a dismal start to the 2020–21 season. Chris Hughton succeeded him.

Hughton was fired on 16 September 2021 following the club’s first 7 matches of the 2021/22 season.

Poor signings and a hostile club culture kept Forest in the Championship four years into the Marinakis tenure. In 2021, the club undertook structural reforms to fix past faults.

Forest hired Dane Murphy as CEO and George Syrianos as head of recruiting to implement an analytics-driven transfer strategy. The Forest leadership vowed to avoid the “short-termism” of past summers by no longer recruiting players for more than £18,000 a week and focusing on younger, profit-making recruits.

Forest named Steve Cooper head coach on 21 September 2021. Cooper led the team from the least of the league to 7th by Christmas.

Kindly Select any of the Academy below and Apply 

Leave a Comment